What is Lorehaven?
Lorehaven serves Christian fans by finding biblical truth in fantastic stories. Free digital magazines, an online library, the Fantastical Truth podcast, and a thriving community help fans explore fantasy, science fiction, and other fantastical genres for the glory of Jesus Christ.
- Every weekday our partner site, Speculative Faith, releases a new article.
- Every week we release a new episode of the Fantastical Truth podcast.
- Finally, every season, we release a new issue of our free Lorehaven magazine.
Lorehaven began in 2018. (But our roots go much deeper.)
Click each heading to learn more.
How does the magazine work?
- Readers can subscribe free to download Lorehaven issues.
- Anyone can also order print copies, or find them at special events.
- Reviewers’ time, page design, and distribution is funded by ads and sponsored reviews.
What’s inside Lorehaven magazine?
- Practical, positive reviews of Christian-made fantastical novels.
- Articles helping fans who love Jesus to explore speculative stories.
- Sponsored content, including book reviews and advertisements.
Who is Lorehaven’s audience?
We are reaching thousands of readers and podcast listeners.
These are not just other writers. These are new fans: kids, young adults, and grown-ups who enjoy Christian-made, fantastical novels.
We share specific reader, listener, and social media fan totals in our media guide (available upon request).
How can we share your stories with new fans?
We’d love to help you reach our readers in any of these three ways.
1. Request a Lorehaven magazine review
Lorehaven Magazine releases once every quarter.
Our team reviews novels with these criteria:
- Fantastical genre,
Our team also seeks books that are relatively new and stand the best chance for positive review. Books that meet our prime criteria, but which we have not selected naturally, can also receive sponsored reviews.
For more information, read Lorehaven Magazine Reviews Christian-Made, Fantastical, Published Novels.
Lorehaven Magazine seeks to serve Christian fans with book reviews in each issue.
First, you get a short, convenient flash review of a recent Christian fantastical novel.
We’ll describe the characters, plot, and world. You’ll get an idea of what themes the story explores. You’ll notice, however, that we don’t offer star-based rankings or thumbs up/thumbs down. Sure, some stories have objectively good or bad traits. But we hope to review only the best stories, and match these with the best fans.
Second, under Best for, we identify kinds of readers we believe will love the story.
Please note that the term “discern” does not mean we must always avoid story elements, such as certain words or themes, because we find them offensive. In Christ, we have the option of freedom to engage with any story as in-training members of Jesus’s church family. Some readers, however, may need to avoid a story if it will tempt them personally to sin.
In that case, we feel these elements are worth discussion as fans help each other to find truth in fantastic stories. In your family or church, mature readers may need to read the novel first, then help other readers engage it with truth and imagination.
How we choose reviews
To be selected for Lorehaven Magazine review, novels must fit these qualifications:
- Biblical Christian author
- Fantastical in genre
- Published, indie or traditional
Authors can share their books at Lorehaven.com. Our volunteer team will match qualifying entries to the reviewer who is best suited for each kind of story.
We also prioritize newer novels, so we will consider a book’s date of release.
Authors can also consider sponsored (or paid) reviews for older books, or books we otherwise can’t select for volunteer review. We treat each sponsored review just like any other review. To learn more, reach out by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our ads manager, Zachary Totah, stands ready to assist with any sponsorship needs.
3. Add your novel to the Lorehaven Library
The Lorehaven Library lists any novel that fulfills these criteria.
- Books must be based on a Christian worldview. For clarification, see our Faith Statement.
- Novels must include fantastical (or speculative) genres. These include, but are not limited to: fantasy, science fiction, supernatural/horror, paranormal, and alternate history.
- All novels must be complete and published.
- Acceptable books can be from any publishing company.
- We accept submission of self-published novels. However, if your novel is self-published, we especially recommend including an endorsement or excerpted review of your book from an independent source.
- The Library is organized by volunteers. So it may be a while before your book appears. Search the Lorehaven Library to see if it is added. Newly added novels will also appear on Lorehaven’s front page.
- Site editors can deny books that don’t fulfill these criteria.