153. When Can Deconstructionism Threaten Christian Fiction? | with Michael Young aka ‘Wokal Distance’
If a church or group of Christians hurt you, that is part of your origin story.1 True heroes, on their journey to victory, often face many temptations to the dark side. One of those temptations is to a fantastical foe we’re calling deconstructionism. How can we show sympathy to victims who need to tear out bad structures, while refusing to let professional demolition crews reduce the gospel itself to ruin? Michael Young, known on the Twitterverse as “Wokal Distance,” shares wisdom from outside the Christian-fantastical community about Fantastical Foe number one.
- Enclave Publishing: Enhanced by Candace Kade
- Once Upon a Ren Faire by A. C. Castillo
- Realm Makers 2023 conference
- We’ll talk about some hot topics, but focus on ideas, not politicians or policies.
- We especially focus on on the intersection of ideas and fiction.
- Instead of emphasizing bad ideas, we want to highlight excellent stories that glorify God.
Introducing Michael Young aka ‘Wokal Distance’
Michael Young, known on Twitter as “Wokal Distance,” teaches about the roots of wokeness. He decodes, deciphers, and explains the postmodern world in a way which is accessible to the average person. For those who feel the breaking apart of the social world, he helps them find their bearings. Follow him on Twitter @Wokal_Distance.
Quotes and notes
- Welcome to the postmodern world
- The faith struggles of young people today
- Jesus and John Wayne Among the Deplorables
- Conservative storytelling aesthetic (segment from Benjamin Boyce podcast)
1. What is postmodern deconstruction?
2. How is deconstruction laundered through stories?
3. How can we fight deconstruction with meaningful stories?
Lorehaven mission update
- News: Enclave, Lorehaven, Fayette Join Forces for Austin Homeschool Conference
- Review: Frank Peretti’s 2012 last(?) novel, Illusion
Next on Fantastical Truth
What if you had to survive in a futuristic East Asian world ruled by a social credit system, you had to pretend you were genetically altered? We’ll break from this series about present-day Fantastical Foes. Instead we’ll jump into the sci-fi cyberpunk world of Enhanced, Candace Kade’s newly released novel. She’ll join us for an interview in our next episode.
Explore the best Christian-made fantasy, sci-fi, and beyond, and apply these stories' meanings in the real world Jesus calls us to serve.