95. How Can We Fight the Shadow When It Breaks the Wheel of Time and Other Fandoms? | with G. Shane Morris
The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass leaving memories that become legend, then fade to myth. In one age, called 2022, the Wheel of Time TV show recently concluded season 1. Yet this season finale of this show was not an end, because there are no beginnings or endings in the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending—an ending of the hopes of many. For it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age. Or in this case, the TV adaptation of the Wheel of Time. Many fans of the books watched their beloved story become corrupted by the studio execs at Shayol Ghul. When fandom is heartbroken by the breaking of a fantasy world, how can the forces of the light fight back?
- Lorehaven favors Christian-made fantasy, but also does these side quests.
- Stephen is unfamiliar with this fandom. If you’re the same, compare your own!
- This is not Christian fantasy. Both books and show include ungodly elements.
Introducing G. Shane Morris
Shane Morris is a senior writer at the Colson Center and host of the Upstream podcast as well as cohost of the BreakPoint podcast. He has been a voice of the Colson Center since 2010 as coauthor of many BreakPoint commentaries and columns. He has also written for The Federalist, The Christian Post, and Summit Ministries, and he blogs regularly for Patheos Evangelical as Troubler of Israel. Shane lives with his wife, Gabriela, and their three children in Lakeland, Florida.
- The Colson Center: Upstream Podcast
- Twitter: @GShaneMorris
- ‘The Wheel of Time’ As a Celebration of Gender
1. Robert Jordan’s original The Wheel of Time books
- We share favorite characters and favorite elements.
- We recall best life lessons from The Wheel of Time.
- More discussion focuses on truth, idols, and themes.
2. Amazon Studios’s The Wheel of Time show
- We find some of our favorite moments in the show
- We condemn the worst aspects of Amazon’s show.
- How we see the show as a subversion of Jordan’s work.
3. Fight the Shadow
- How do we respond as book fans to The Wheel of Time season 1?
- Do we celebrate the good, expose the bad?
- Zack has analyzed each episode at his personal blog.
- Or do we reject the show? Zack doen’t blame friends who have.
- Can Christian fans even pray for a new showrunner?
- What if we dive back into the books?
- Other fans are resisting in the r/Whitecloaks subreddit and on YouTube: Books and Bianca and Knight’s Watch
Next on Fantastical Truth
Even when you’re doing a smaller podcast, you get to meet some famous people. How much more so when you’re blessed to attend conferences and engage Christian creators via the interwebs. This brings many temptations, among them, treating famous creators like angels, or like devils, when of course they are very much human. In the world of fandom by Christians and often for Christians, we’ll explore how we delight and discern famous creators.
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below